What you need to know about this matchup:
- Bowling Green is averaging 6 points a game and allowing 50.
- Bowling Green’s second leading rusher RB Andrew Clair is listed on the injury
report with a foot injury.
- Toledo has the ninth-best rushing offense in the nation; Bowling Green the
122nd-ranked rushing defense
- BG is allowing more than nine yards per completion, which ranks 126th.
- The Falcons have yet to name a starter for the Toledo game.
- Front runner is Grant Loy who came in for Wade last week and was 13 of 25 for
106 yards against the Fighting Irish
- Loy has started just 1 game in his career.
Toledo scored 31 last week but if you watched the game noticed it could have been way more. They struggled to get things going after 14 points in the 1st quarter , particularly when they were shut out in the 3rd. They were just 50% on 3rd down. Had 2 turnovers, and 6 penalties for 60 yards.
This is a rivalry game, when speaking last week Toledo Head Coach Jason Candle said, “I’m looking forward to it. It’s a big game for our program, the city and all of Northwest Ohio. This is my 11th year as part of this rivalry and I can’t wait to start preparing for it.”
Toledo has won 9 straight in the rivalry . My last thoughts :
Toledo honestly didn’t play real well for a full game last week. I think Candle irons out some things with week at practice and really harps on this team playing a full game.
QB Mitchell Guadagni has done enough to win the last two tight games vs BYU and Western Michigan , but he hasn’t had a breakout performance. I think this is a confidence booster he could use. Reminder- he’s very mobile and has 4 rushing TD on the year.
I also think something is to be said for a Bowling Green team who just played a much more physical, much more talented Notre Dame team. The “big uglies” up front have to be worn down.
I look for Toledo to come out and rattle an inexperienced QB on D, and pour it on offensively start to finish.
Big play game for me, lets go Rockets.
Follow Rico on Twitter @Return_of_RB and catch him every week on the Barstool Pick ’em podcast.