- Jacoby Brissett will be the starting QB for New England tonight. He was drafted in the 3rd round in 2016 out of NC State, where he had a career 43 TDs & 11 INTs in his two seasons there.
- Bill Parcells is Brissett’s mentor. Him and Brissett speak weekly. Parcells nicknamed Brissett “One Snap” back in the spring to let him know he is “one snap away” from being the starting quarterback for the New England Patriots. Well, here it is.
- Martellus Bennett looks awesome. He is so fast for a tight end and proved last week that he is a true #1 tight end in the NFL if he ever had to be one again. He had 5 receptions for 114 yards & 1 TD.
- Gronk was upgraded from Q to P this morning on the injury report. His availability, regardless of his effectiveness for tonight, will draw attention away from Bennett and New England’s other targets.
- Brissett entered last week’s game and led a TD scoring drive his first time out. He finished the game vs the Dolphins 6 for 9 with 1 TD and 1 fumble.
Brissett showed poise following his one fumble. Rookies tend to get hesitant after throwing turnovers but Brissett didn’t show any signs of letting the fumble affect him.
Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, and Bennett played huge versus the Dolphins. The four combined for 297 yards last week vs the Dolphins on 20 catches. Brissett would be wise to lean on them and not get too fancy. He also has White to throw to and Blount to feed.
- Yes, Julian Edelman will be the backup quarterback for New England tonight and will play if Brissett goes down. The funny thing is if he ever had to play he would probably hand the ball off the Blount 9 out of 10 times and then throw a 5 yard pass to Bennett when he needs a 1st down.
- Joey public is saying “New England’s D got torched vs Tannehill, bro” but this score was 31-3 New England with 5:46 left in the 3rd quarter. Tannehill did most of his damage when New England played conservative with the lead. Please. New England also held the Cardinals to 21 points in Arizona the week before they put up a 40 burger on the revamped Buccaneers.
- This line opened at Hou -2.5 and moved to Hou -1 by Wednesday morning at most major sportsbooks in Vegas. As of Thursday 1:30 PM ET Houston is either a PK or -1 at most major books.
It was just 11 days ago when the public said there was “no way Garrappolo could beat Arizona” and sure enough they did…without Gronk….as 10 point underdogs. I know because I was in Vegas at the MGM talking to some recreational bettor out of a $300 bet on the Cardinals. He thanked me later.
Live Thursday Night Football & Week 3 updates on Twitter @spreadinvestor